Sunday, April 10, 2011

Making Bread


My mother in law gave me the best recipe for bread for people like me who make bread by hand...without a fancy mixer. I've made it twice, and it has turned out both times!

Warm wheat bread makes H so very happy. Not to mention, I feel so satisfied after successfully making a batch of bread. We also made cinnamon rolls to eat during General Conference. What better than warm cinnamon rolls and some great conference talks?

Speaking of bread, we watched a Walter and Gromit episode this week that made me laugh called "A Matter of Loaf and Death." It's pretty amusing.






Wheat Bread

4 C. warm water
1Tbsp. yeast
1C. honey
5-6 C. all-purpose flour
5-6 C. whole wheat flour
Mix and let sit until bubbles form (approx. 15 minutes)
Add: 1T. salt
1 C. oil
Alternate flours until it pulls away from bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour, or until rounded over bowl. Then roll out on a board, well floured, and knead until smooth (approx. 5-7 min.) Spray 4 bread pans; divide dough into 4 equal sections. Slam each piece down on counter and put in pans. Cover and let rise again ( approx. 30 minutes) Bake in cold oven 30-35 min.until brown and hollow sounding when tapped @ 375. Make sure the pans are not touching. Take out and cool (5-10 min.) then run knife around edges and remove from pans to cool completely, covered with a towel. Wrap in saran wrap/and foil and store in refrig. Freezes well also.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

yum ! That looks great! do blog often!

Joyce said...

I am so happy that you are having success with Karen's recipe. Before I teach my class on bread making, I will have to try it. The cinnamon rolls look amazingly yummy! And tasted great!

Gina said...

those look delish!

M said...

I'm very impressed. They look delicious!