OR
?I need a new computer, but I have really been putting off my decision. Part of me is just very emotionally attached to my trusty ol' Dell computer that I got four years ago, and the other part of me doesn't want to mess with the hassle to switch computers.
Basically, I need to be able to run a few fancy and memory-intensive design programs (Adobe Creative Suite) for a few projects I am working on. My computer isn't capable of efficiently handling these programs and goes into dino-slow mode when they are running. I am considering a Mac, but my programs are only compatible for PCs. Here's my question: should I buy a Mac and split my hard drive to run the programs, or should I buy a PC?What laptop do you have and why should I consider buying it?
11 comments:
We have a Mac mini and a Dell laptop. I like both for different reasons. If I were you, I would NOT get a Mac just to split the harddrive. If it weren't so freakishly expensive, I'd go with a Mac and get the programs for a Mac as well, but if you already have Adobe for PC then I'd stick with a Dell. Have you asked anywhere about upgrading the memory on your current one or finding ways to speed it up?
I'd say get the PC, but I have very few good reasons why you should do so. Mostly because I know PCs. Familiar and comfortable.
Jake's advice: the Adobe Suite runs better on a Mac. It's easier and better to use it there. However, if you aren't buying the Suite for the Mac and you would split the harddrive, then just get a PC.
I used a Mac for a semester and it drove me crazy the whole time. I've heard they're better, once you learn how to use it. If you're willing to learn, it may be worth it. I've heard that Macs are better for graphics based programs.
I've considered switching to a Mac several times, but when it came time to replace my old computer I decided to stick with what I already knew and had software for, which saved me a lot of time and money. I really enjoy using Macs, especially for design stuff, but not only were the ones I looked at significantly more expensive than their PC equivalents, I would have spent additional money either replacing my software or buying Windows so I could partition my drive.
If you want to go the PC route, my not-at-all-professional suggestion would be to check out Sony. I LOVE my Vaio, and with enough memory it could easily match the performance of a Mac. (For what it's worth, Sony has also had the most reliable hardware and best customer support of the PCs I've owned.)
Without a doubt we recommend the Mac route. We have been checking out the new Macs that they just came out with and they look sweet.
They are specifically set up for intense and professional graphic capabilities. You should go to apple.com and take a look and see if that is what you are looking for. Specifically, http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/graphics.html, is the site that describes the graphics capabilities of the new Mac.
Very true the Mac is more expensive but may be worth it. Maybe...
Nancy says don't listen to Ryan and JaNae because they are prejudice against Mac's, let your conscience be your guide.
Anyways good luck deciding.
-The Garners
p.s.There are a ton of student discounts that you can get on Macs as well. So take your time and call if you have any questions for us.
pps We are looking for internship opportunities in the DC area for summer, May-August. So if you come across anything we would appreciate your help.
MACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC! No question! We LOVE our mac and i will never, ever go back to any other computer. It changes your world!
MAC for sure. love love love it. so easy to use and understand. done and done.
PC’s will always get you more bang for your buck. You can call dell and they’ll build you a machine based on what you’re going to use it for.
Mac’s do tend to have fewer problems. Plus, since Mac built the computer and the operating system, they can and do offer better support. The learning curve on a Mac is pretty small. It’s not like your learning a new language. On the con side however, they cost a lot more money, you’ll need a spare copy of Windows to load on the Mac (you can most likely use the one you have on your current laptop), and you’ll have to re-purchase your Adobe Suite for the Mac.
You can save a little bit on a computer if you still have a BYU id. You can also save a lot if you just get a last generation laptop or a refurbished one. Refurbished Macs have the same warranty as new ones, they just cost less. If you’re willing to consider that route, here is a good article about the ins and outs of refurbished computers…http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/refurbished-electronic.htm
One last note…a newer operating system is supposed to be coming out for the Mac sometime during the first quarter of next year. It’s called Snow Leopard and it’s supposed to have a lot of the kinks fixed. They’ll also run quite a bit faster. If you end up deciding to go with a Mac, I’d suggest waiting until the new OS is released.
I say Mac all the way. It's very easy to learn how to use. And if your dealing with graphic programs, that is Mac's specialty.
Tammy my dear, I am behind on your blog. I love all of your pictures and your stories about exploring!
I wish I could give you an informed answer about the MAC/PC debate. What I can tell you is that I resisted the MAC and was forced, kicking and screaming, to use it for editorial stuff, and I ended up figuring things out and liking it just fine.
I know you'll figure it out! :)
Post a Comment