Friday, November 14, 2008

Philadelphia: Thoughts on the City

The purpose of my trip to Philadelphia was three-fold: sightseeing, visiting, family, and graduate school shopping (not that I am really all that convinced to go back to graduate school right now, but I might as well know what's out there). I was surprised that I missed DC--my home of a little over a month. I found myself comparing things like transportation (DC's metro to Philadelphia's Septa train) my overall sense of safety, and cleanliness. In all areas, DC came out on top. But, needless to say, Philadelphia trumps DC in artistic innovation and creativity.

In all, this is what I saw in Philly:
How ironic.

The innards of the Liberty Bell.

Graffiti. On every light post, newspaper rack, and parking meter.

On the Septa.

3 comments:

Rayleen said...

"In West Philadelphia, born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days..." Perhaps there's some truth of gangs and roughness as evidenced by the graffiti everywhere. I've only been to Independence square and the National Constitution Center, so it Philly seems quite historical to me.

Unknown said...

Tammy Messick. I have no clue how I gloriously ran across your blog, but I'm so glad I did! I miss youuu. I have a blog too, so we can stalk each other's lives.

p.s. you're a great writer. much much love!
Lat

Heidi said...

And the "Philade hia" sign is still there and wrong 5 months later!!