Thursday, December 18, 2008

2008: A Year in Review

Since 2002, I've summarized each year into what I call a "Year in Review." I sit down and write down bullet points as much as I can remember from each month in that year. Then, I sift through my journal from the year and fill in all the gaps. (I am an avid journal writer--which helps tremendously!)

As I've been in the process of writing my "Year in Review" for 2008, a lot of the emotions and feelings from this year's events return. For me, 2008 will always be the year of babies (4 new additions within the last year or so), discoveries, faith, mourning, friendships, and uncertainty.

I've had a hard time putting my finger on how this year has changed me. I feel more adult in the sense that the innocence and naivety that naturally accompanied me through my college years may never fully return. Yet, my exposure to life's realities has not tainted me, no, not my determination, my peace, or my joy.

What would a "Year in Review" reveal to you?

Here are a few highlights from 2008 in photos.


6 comments:

JaNae said...

What a great idea to put closure on each year. It'll be so fun to read back on each year's summary someday.

Gina said...

Love the idea.
I just looked back at my goals for New years in 08 and was proud that I actually accomplished a couple!

Rayleen said...

what a soul cultivating year you've had. I've been mulling over what kind of year I've had. Perhaps I'd describe it as a road unexpected. By the time I finished college, especially BYU, I expected that I would be starting a family of my own. But, things don't turn out necessarily the way you expect. It's been really wonderful. I'm opening up to new avenues that the Lord has provided. Perhaps I've learned the most to be flexible and faithful and to expect that things will turn out even better than expected.

Bryce said...

Ditto on Eleesha's comment. Life is a strange, winding journey, huh? Although our friendship is still pretty young, Tammy, I'm incredibly impressed by the person you are, and the person you're becoming. You've obviously had a very full and trying year, but I think we can all agree that life, with all its perils and uncertainties, is ultimately an inestimable blessing. Also, I understand what you mean about the loss of innocence - it seems very sad indeed to me that we will never truly be like children again, but as you said, such experience in this dreary world does not have to rob us of our determination, peace, and joy!

Unknown said...

great thoughts. so glad your heart and mind are being opened to the harder things of this world, if only to take off any blinders youth-hood covered you with. tanto paz y amor.

Chelsea said...

Tammy, You never ever fail to inspire me. You did have quite a year! Full of adventures and lessons. China was a blast wasn't it :D I'm glad you were part of the memories that made my year too!

I love you and hope you are having a fabulous holiday