Monday, December 29, 2008

Knitting Craze


Every year during the winter I get a serious case of knitter's obsession. This year, my knitting phase of winter was greatly delayed probably due to other time consuming (but not nearly as enjoyable) tasks that took precedence. Thanks to my mother who gave me some well used knitting books for Christmas, my passion for wearable yarn was yet again rekindled.

While I was knitting in bed the other night trying to rationalize working on my knitting project over reading my scriptures I glanced over at the Ensign magazine next to me and saw Elder Eyring's Our Hearts Knit As One from the October 2008 Conference. (Yay...there is a spiritual tie for my current hobby!) In this talk, he gives several ways to increase unity in our lives--this is my simplified version. I hope to integrate some of these items into my new year's resolutions.

1. Be humble
"Pride is the great enemy of unity."
2. Say nice things about people (or don't say anything at all)
"I can promise you a feeling of peace and joy when you speak generously of others in the Light of Christ."
3. Find strength in differences
"The children of God have more in common than they have differences. And even the differences can be seen as an opportunity. God will help us see a difference in someone else not as a source of irritation but as a contribution. The Lord can help you see and value what another person brings which you lack."
4. Pray for unity
"The miracle of unity is being granted to us as we pray and work for it in the Lord’s way. Our hearts will be knit together in unity."
5. Unity is not an individual pursuit
"He cannot grant it to us as individuals. The joy of unity He wants so much to give us is not solitary. We must seek it and qualify for it with others. It is not surprising then that God urges us to gather so that He can bless us."

5 comments:

Rayleen said...

Way to use physical things in your life to teach you of the spiritual. I was certain when I saw the title you were announcing you knitted a bikini.:)

Lindsay Mecham said...

Good luck on the knitting!! I remember the scarves you made in high school were really pretty, so you're probably close to being a pro by now--if you're not already!! Anyways, what are you knitting now?

Happy New Year!! Love you Tams. :)

P.S. I decided to make my blog a little more private, so send me your blogger email address to lkmecham@gmail.com, and I can invite you to be a reader!

swajud said...

I'm enjoying the knitting season as well and loved that talk by Eyring. Loved the connection!

(P.S. check out ravelry and knitty for good knitting patterns...i'm trying out fair isle for hats and xmas stockings...fun stuff!)

Unknown said...

tammy, i LOVE knitting. and i've knit alot this christmas too! i'm super inspired to see the spiritual in this simple task. what a beauty!

Bryce said...

I love Elder/President Eyring talks! Quite a fortuitous spiritual segue as well :-) It just so happens that unity has been on my mind lately as well, and I've incorporated it into my goals for the year. Unity rocks!