Monday, February 2, 2009

Unique Univeristy Education: BYU

(Me as a really, really, excited BYU freshman)

When I tell strangers that I attended Brigham Young University for my undergraduate degree, I get two responses: "Oh, so you're Mormon" and "Don't they have really strict rules?" To this I say, "Yes, and...well, yes."

To others, the idea of signing an Honor Code which details an expected code of conduct is not only strange, it's also seemingly restricting. Oddly enough, the majority of BYU students don't feel restricted by abiding by rules such as wearing modest dress, abstaining from alcohol, and living the law of chastity. Rather, living by these rules facilitates a higher level of trust between students, ensures an added measure of the spirit, and "frees students up" to concentrate on their studies.

Well, then you ask, what do BYU students do for fun? In the winter, they play in the snow. In the summer, they go camping. All year, students dance, attend quality plays/performances, and play intramural sports. Additionally, many students choose to spend their free time serving fellow students as well as giving countless hours to the community. During my undergraduate years, I spent many hours coordinating service activities at BYU's Center for Service and Learning where I met brilliant people with intense schedules who made time for others.

Camping in Goblin Valley.

Snow!

BYU student "having fun" =)

By spending this time uplifted by others of their same faith, students graduate and enter the world ready to face the challenges and trials ahead of them. As such, they fulfill BYU's motto: Enter to Learn, Go forth to Serve.


5 comments:

Scott Morris said...

Once, shortly after my freshman year but before leaving for my mission, I was at a Los Angelos Philharmonic concert at the Hollywood Bowl (which is an outside amphitheater). My dad and I were talking to the nice people sitting behind us. The couple (a nonpracticing Jew and a nonpracticing Christian) slowly downed a whole bottle of wine just before intermission. Anyways...when the guy asked where I went to school I told him BYU.

The girl asked "Isn't it kind of dry there?"

I said, "Well, yeah, it is a desert."

I didn't realize until later that they weren't talking about the weather.

M said...

I love that you have a Maggie Moo's shirt on in your freshmen picture. That's awesome!

Holly said...

Tammy! I love and miss you so much! I just wanted you to know :)

Cristina said...

awesome post tammy! the only other comment I've gotten when I told someone I went to BYU was "hmm...they have good football..."

Bryce said...

Great post with great pics! Did you live in that apartment complex in the snow picture? Because I used to live reeeally close to there in The Brittany (which I totally can't recommend) - I wonder if we were near-neighbors for a time?