The most cherished gifts I have from my dad are his heartfelt letters. Those close to him know these notes well: folded in thirds, most often handwritten on 6" by 9" lined paper, or sometimes on note cards. This morning when I woke up, I read a few of my dad's letters to me. Each note seemed to have similar characteristics. At the beginning of each letter Dad praised me as his daughter and pointed out specific qualities that were unique to me. Then, each letter contained a spiritual lesson or component, sometimes subtle (and sometimes not so subtle). At the end, every letter expressed deep love for me as his daughter.
I came across one specific note from my dad dated April 30, 2008--just after I graduated from BYU. His handwriting is shaky, but it follows the same pattern: praise, lesson, love. His very last line is so simplistic, yet it encompasses everything a daughter wants to hear from her father: "Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing all the right things."
6 comments:
How special that you have those letters. Your Dad sounded like an amazing man. I'm thinking of you. I hope you are doing well.
I love learning more about your dad because it shows me where you got so many of your great attributes!
love you tammy dear.
(p.s. i'll be in d.c. on thursday. We've got to play this summer!)
You inherited the amazing qualities your dad had. I know he is so proud of you!
It sounds like he was filled with the love of God and therefore able to Parent a bit like Him.
Thanks for this post, Tammy. You have such a great way of expressing yourself through words. This was such a touching post. Love you!
Thanks Tammy. I feel so blessed to have known your father and I miss him as well. You are incredible....
Post a Comment