Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Granola Bars

So, I hate buying granola bars. They are so expensive and sometimes don't even taste that great. Sarah found this recipe and we changed it a little to make it healthier. Here is the original recipe:

4 c. uncooked oats (not instant)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. raisins (optional)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1 c. chopped nuts (cashews or walnuts or peanuts are all good!)
3/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. honey

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with greased hands, and press into a well greased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 jelly roll pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool thoroughly and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container to keep them chewy.

We used 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup applesauce for the full 3/4 of butter. It turned out a little chewy...kind of like the consistency of a cookie, but came out in bars. I love having it to snack on.

1 comment:

JaNae said...

looks yummy...I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing!