This is absolutely music to my ears. How seldom we hear this kind of rhetoric today? I feel empowered, moved, and fundamentally changed by this beautiful speech.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
A Day for Memorializing
Standing at the feet of Lincoln earlier this week I was struck by this statement given at the Second Inaugural Address, in the middle of the Civil War, and only a month before his assassination.
"With malice toward none, with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right; let us strive on to finish the work we are in to bind up the the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have bourne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
This is absolutely music to my ears. How seldom we hear this kind of rhetoric today? I feel empowered, moved, and fundamentally changed by this beautiful speech.

A view of the Vietnam War Memorial designed by Maya Lin (the two pictures above). This memorial was actually highly controversial when it was "erected." It has been described as a "scar on the earth." You can see from this picture that it actually rests entirely beneath the surface of the earth--at no point does it jut out or stand tall and proud at least not when compared to other memorials in the area (like the Korean War Memorial, below).

This is absolutely music to my ears. How seldom we hear this kind of rhetoric today? I feel empowered, moved, and fundamentally changed by this beautiful speech.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I feel like I repeat myself in comments on your blog..."nice pics"! I especially like the different perspective on the memorials. Good eye.
We'd probably hear more rhetoric like Lincoln's if the country was in the disasterous position it was in during his presidency.
Tammy, you have no idea how jealous I am that you are getting to see all this stuff! I love it all! How is the job hunting going? Oh and ps I tagged you!
I agree about that quote from Lincoln. Beautiful and moving.
Post a Comment