On Thursday I found myself gazing into a painting by Georgia O'Keeffe at the Smithsonian's National Gallery of Art. Another man walked walked up, stood beside me, and focused on the painting for a brief thirty seconds. I felt suddenly self conscious, as if I needed to look harder and longer at the painting. I felt pressure to find a deeper meaning and feel changed by the lines or composition of the painting. What is it about the presence of a stranger that changes my behavior or thought process?
In moving to Washington DC, I thought I would be among strangers. I attended a luncheon last week sponsored by non-profit Millennium Challenge Corporation and the BYU Management Society. Although I expected to not know anyone, I quickly realized that I already knew half a dozen people in the room (thanks to my BYU education). As it turns out Washinton DC is the ultimate city for networking.
I dug these photos out of the archives of my computer. These are from 4 years ago when I visited DC. Sadly, I don't have any updated photos of the city. The National Archives building (the one in the picture with the fountain) is currently being renovated and is covered in scaffolding.
5 comments:
Well I am glad that you posted a pic of the building when it was pretty and not when there was ugly construction everywhere...even if it IS 4 years old! I am excited to hear more Tammy stories...keep them coming!
The number of people you know is astouding. Honestly, you know people from all over the world. Remember in HS - you knew and threw parties for all the international kids.
I feel so lucky that I get to feel Tammy stories every day when she comes home...what a brave adventure-er! Go Tammy!
Not the first time I've done this...Tammy and I sharing a computer gets confusing! The above comment was really from me! It would sound like a pretty conceited comment if it was from Tammy I guess!
I can't believe how many people you know! Its unbelievable!
Post a Comment